[Clfs-support] Cross tool chain output

Jonathan Cave stuff at jocave.me.uk
Tue Sep 15 02:19:31 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have been following the pattern described in stable series CLFS to produce
a cross-compiling tool chain. I have two servers available that I would like
to use as hosts both of which are Intel x86 based, however one runs RHEL 3
and one runs CentOS 5.x.

I have been able to construct the toolchain on both servers, but have been
surprised that source code compiled for the target with the toolchain on one
server does not produce identical binary output to that built with the
toolchain on the other server. The file size of object files produced always
differs from one server to the other and investigations with nm indicates
that are differences throughout the files.

Is this what should be expected? I felt that the cross toolchain and target
filesystem if properly built would result in identical output.

Any guidance appreciated.

Jonathan