[Clfs-support] Still No Internet

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Thu Oct 22 21:41:19 PDT 2009

On 10/23/2009 12:00 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> Thanks, Reimundo. If what you say is true, I have done that on both of
> my devices. This is what's so frustrating. Since I can't connect with
> either device, the problem lies in something common to the both of them.
> There are only a limited number of options: kernel configuration,
> configuration files and bootscripts. I have compared the configuration
> file--/etc/dhclient.conf--and the bootscripts to those in my other
> laptop and they are identical. That leaves the kernel and I just don't
> see what's wrong there either. I'm hoping that someone can see another
> avenue to explore.
>
> Dan

Given that your earlier message indicated that you did stuff like
installing the DHCP package while using bootscripts for dhcpcd (yes,
aside from the fact that that they both deal with dhcp, "dhcpcd" and
"DHCP" are two completely unrelated packages), I'd say you need to
double-check that you really do have the right setup.

Of course, that is assuming that you also have the wireless stuff set up
correctly as well (does "iwconfig [interface]" list the correct ESSID
and encryption key? Do they show up in "iwlist scan"?). Also it's not
likely to be a kernel config issue as the wireless device probably would
never even be recognized if that were the case.