[Clfs-support] CLFS newbie: x86 to SPARC x-compiletion requirements

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 15 10:35:43 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 06:05:15AM -0400, attila.j.horvath at gmail.com wrote:
> All
>
> I have a need to cross compile from a 32-bit x86 based Windows/Linux hosting
> environment to a 64-bit SPARC based SOLARIS/10 target environment. I've
> considered SUN's GCCFSS and have taken initial steps to go down that path
> however there are some logistic hurdles that I may not be able to overcome
> due to GCCFSS' basic operation. Primarily, it needs the contents of the
> target machine's /usr/include, /usr/lib, /usr/(etc.) directories. Since the
> target machine is a classified machine and the host is not, there is a
> logistics I may not be able to easily overcome. I just came across CLFS.
> >From the sound of it, CLFS may very well get around this potential security
> hurdle that GCCFSS may encounter.

 What is a "classified" machine in this context ?  Also, you talk
about a Solaris target environment - clfs is about building a new
linux system on a machine where you are root.

> After more searching I came across CLFS. I've (only) *skimmed* the
> documentation detailing the instantiation of a SPARC /mnt/clfs environment [
> http://cross-lfs.org/files/BOOK/1.1.0/CLFS-1.1.0-sparc64-64.pdf]. From
> skimming, I can tell that the steps are considerable to achieve a SPARC
> targeted CLFS mount. I'm willing to follow the procedure step-by-step,
> however, I have the following basic question before doing so: *Does any one
> have these steps detailed in a scripted format that can semi-automate the
> installation procedure?*

 My own builds are scripted, but they diverge from the book and
don't cover sparc64.  The big problems with scripting the build are
capturing all possible errors, and logging the output.  If you don't
understand *how* the build is supposed to work, using scripts which
*may* have their own idiosyncracies is not usually an easy way to
get a working build.

ĸen