[Clfs-support] Cannot link libgmp while building mpfr

Lance Chou LChou at PLXTech.com
Thu Jun 18 00:09:32 PDT 2009

It seems I'm wrong. Although the make can be done, the library is still
not generated out.

-----Original Message-----
From: clfs-support-bounces at lists.cross-lfs.org
[mailto:clfs-support-bounces at lists.cross-lfs.org] On Behalf Of Lance
Chou
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:41 PM
To: CLFS Support
Subject: Re: [Clfs-support] Cannot link libgmp while building mpfr

I take a look at the Makefile in the mpfr-2.4.1 directory.
When linking libgmp.so via libtool (line 426), it uses "-rpath
$(libdir)" to refer to the $(libdir) directory. But $(libdir) is set to
"${exec_prefix}/lib" where the "exec_prefix" was set to "prefix".

So, when we use "./configure --prefix=/usr" ..., it forces to search
libgmp.so in the /usr/lib directory when linking with libgmp.so.
After I remove the "-rpath $(libdir)", it can be built successfully.

But I'm afraid that it would have some side-effects if I remove it.
Besides, how come it's useless to assign "--with-gmp-lib" when
configuring.