[Clfs-support] gtk+2 upgrade help

Reimundo Heluani rheluani at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 10:22:57 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-25 at 21:35 -0800, Reimundo Heluani wrote:
> Hello there, I upgraded from gtk+2.16.0 to 2.19.2 without using a
> package manager (compiled, removed by hand the old libraries and
> installed on top of the same prefix). Things went wrong at some point
> but I'm not sure where. I get plenty of errors of the form
>
> ... does not export GTK+ IM module API .... invalid ELF header
>
> for example when running perl I'd get these errors. I can't recompile
> either the previous version of gtk+2 cause of these errors and I can't
> even compile 2.19.2 again because of these errors.
>
> Looking at my /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders I see that the binaries
> are the old ones, so I'm not sure why they didn't get overwritten by the
> new ones (the libraries are all new). I'm not sure where did I screw
> things up but I'd love to hear any help from you guys.
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.

OK, now I'm really puzzled, I realized that my multiarch_wrapper was
overwritten, so I recompiled it and now I don't get the errors of
"invalid ELF header" etc... I have no clue how could this have happened,
there's no point in the installation that I can think it would've been
possible to mess up and overwrite the multiarch_wrapper. Anyhow, now I'm
not sure how to test if gtk+ is working completely. I don't see any
errors in any log, but gtk-query-immodules shows gtk+2.19.2 in its
output, while gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders shows gtk+2.16.0. This is
puzzling.

R.