[Clfs-support] Build 32 bit kernel on 64 bit multilib chroot

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 11 11:13:35 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:06:19AM -0700, Dan Tran wrote:
> >> Hi I have successfully build a clfs build environment (
> >> http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64/ upto chaper 10 )
> >>
> >> Now I would like to use it to build a 32 bit kernel with a known
> >> configuration file.  How do I make gcc to produce 32 bit image?
> >> CC=gcc -m32 make ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> -D
> >  Seems a strange question - a 32-bit kernel is not compatible with
> > 64-bit userspace.
> >
> > ĸen
>
> I use clfs build environment to cross build our embeded root file
> systems which to run on various 32 and 64 bit platforms,
> on 64 bit platforms some of the executables  are 32 bits ( ie not able
> to port to 64 bit yet ), so the clfs is perfect env to work on.
>
> I am able to build every thing, except the 32 bit kernel.
>
> -D
 In that case, give it a try.  Your suggestion (i.e. the same as how
we build 32-bit apps on multilib) sounds sensible.  In the old days,
you would have had to use ARCH= and CROSS_COMPILE= but on current
x86_64 that should not be necessary.

 Alternatively, maybe I'm misinterpreting your last sentence.  If
you've already tried this and it doesn't work, what error(s) do you
get ?

 I'd no idea anyone was using embedded x86_64.

ĸen