[Clfs-support] bin86 and lilo

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 1 14:38:10 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 07:48:52PM +0000, Koornstra, Reinoud wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Arriving at section 7.12, I need to build bin86 and lilo.
> Do I need to boot a 64-bits linux from a live cd, make the user clfs again and set the variables again?
> Then follow the instructions to make bin86 and lilo?
> Kind Regards,
>
> Reinoud.

 As a proof of concept, I cross-built bin86 and lilo on ppc64, then
copied them to the x86_64-64 box.  Was able to run them without
problems.  This part of that pure64 book was based on that experience.

 If you look at section 7.20 you'll see that you install lilo by
running /tools/bin/lilo.static.  (Well, it was 7.20 last time I
updated my local copy, possibly something else has moved it now
so just "making the CLFS system bootable" in chapter 7.)

 Of course, if you have an existing bootloader on the machine you
may prefer to use that.

ĸen