[Clfs-support] Fail to build GCC final in chapter 5 - from trunk

Dan Tran dantran at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 08:02:16 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
> Dan Tran wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I am pretty new to LFS but successfully able to build 32 and 64
>> bit build environments ( LFS chapter 5 and 6 ).  Now I want combine
>> those 2 -  multitlib .So my goal is to build CLFS chapter 5, 6 and 7
>>
>> I am very much strictly following the books
>
> No you aren't.
>>

>> My host on a x64  RedHat ES 5.1.  My $CLFS is on my local drive with
>> $CLFS/tools and $CLFS/cross-tools are linked to /tools and
>> /cross-tools respectively
>>
>> my ENV is
>>
>> CLFS_TARGET32=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>> CLFS_HOST=x86_64-cross-linux-gnu
>> TERM=xterm
>> CLFS_TARGET=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>> OLDPWD=/home/lfs/clfs
>> LC_ALL=POSIX
>> BUILD64=-m64
>> CLFS=/home/lfs/clfs/target/clfs
>> MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx500m
>> BUILD32=-m32
>>
>> PATH=/cross-tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/java/java/bin:/opt/maven/maven/bin:.
>> PWD=/home/lfs/clfs/target/build/build-gcc
>> JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/java
>> PS1=\u:\w\$
>> M2_HOME=/opt/maven/maven
>> SHLVL=1
>> HOME=/home/lfs
>> _=/bin/env
>>
> For one thing, the PATH is not what the book says...specifically there
> should be nothing beyond /cross-tools/bin, /bin, and /usr/bin. Also, several
> variables simply shouldn't exist at all for the {,C}LFS user, such as
> JAVA_HOME. What ELSE are you doing to deviate from the book's instructions?

I found the root cause where I missed the following statement in when
build glibc for 64 bit

echo "slibdir=/tools/lib64" >> configparms

That is why gcc could not find the 32 bit library, the 64bit glibc
build overwrites them

and you are absolutely right, i am not strictly follow the book, the
big different is that I use java' maven build to  drive the
build process, where all source tar balls and patches are loaded up to
our internal Maven repository.  Maven is responsible to pull
these artifacts down and invoke the my CLFS build scripts.  At the end
maven will deploy chapter 5, chapter 6, and chapter 7 binary tar balls
to its maven repository
for public consumption. So far i dont think Java would interfere since
the builds for 32 and 64 bit LFS are good.

Thanks

-Dan