[Clfs-support] Fail to build GCC final in chapter 5 - from trunk

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Wed Apr 1 03:01:41 PDT 2009

Dan Tran wrote:
> Hello, I am pretty new to LFS but successfully able to build 32 and 64
> bit build environments ( LFS chapter 5 and 6 ).  Now I want combine
> those 2 -  multitlib .So my goal is to build CLFS chapter 5, 6 and 7
>
> I am very much strictly following the books

No you aren't.

> My host on a x64  RedHat ES 5.1.  My $CLFS is on my local drive with
> $CLFS/tools and $CLFS/cross-tools are linked to /tools and
> /cross-tools respectively
>
> my ENV is
>
> CLFS_TARGET32=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> CLFS_HOST=x86_64-cross-linux-gnu
> TERM=xterm
> CLFS_TARGET=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> OLDPWD=/home/lfs/clfs
> LC_ALL=POSIX
> BUILD64=-m64
> CLFS=/home/lfs/clfs/target/clfs
> MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx500m
> BUILD32=-m32
> PATH=/cross-tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/java/java/bin:/opt/maven/maven/bin:.
> PWD=/home/lfs/clfs/target/build/build-gcc
> JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/java
> PS1=\u:\w\$
> M2_HOME=/opt/maven/maven
> SHLVL=1
> HOME=/home/lfs
> _=/bin/env

For one thing, the PATH is not what the book says...specifically there
should be nothing beyond /cross-tools/bin, /bin, and /usr/bin. Also,
several variables simply shouldn't exist at all for the {,C}LFS user,
such as JAVA_HOME. What ELSE are you doing to deviate from the book's
instructions?