[Clfs-support] Issue building coreutils

Peter Buelow goballstate at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:25:07 PDT 2009

I've got a Fedora 10 x86_64 setup that I'm working on building CLFS, x86_64
host, i586 target. I've gotten through to the build of the coreutils package
in chapter 6.8, but I've hit a problem I can't work through. I found some
related posts and reports on Google, but nothing in the archives when
searching for AC_GNU_SOURCE or AC_REQUIRE, so I assume I'm the first to hit
the issue. I figure it's related to a missing dev package on my host, but
Fedora 10 seems to have the problem with other applications (notably zenoss)
as well.

When I type make for coreutils, it fails on the line
cd . && /bin/sh /home/clfs/system/clfs/coreutils-6.9/build-aux/missing --run
aclocal-1.10 -I m4
configure.ac:38 error AC_REQUIRE: circular dependency of AC_GNU_SOURCE
m4/extensions.m4:19: AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/specific.m4:332: AC_GNU_SOURCE is expanded from...
m4/gnulib-comp.m4:23: gl_EARLY is expanded from...
configure.ac:38: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal-1.10: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
make[1]: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clfs/system/clfs/coreutils-6.9'

Doing what some of the posts suggest, removing references to the
AC_INCLUDE([AC_GNU_SOURCE]) don't work as it causes compiler errors later on
with C99 failed and reverting to C89.

I have autoconf 263, and the configure.ac is looking for autconf 261. I keep
wondering if I'm missing a package on the host, but only coreutils seems to
be bombing out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has this been seen before?

--
Pete