[Clfs-support] CLFS RPM project

Jonathan Norman jonathan at bluesquarelinux.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 09:23:11 PDT 2008

On 27 Sep 2008, at 17:16, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Jonathan Norman wrote:
>
>> I have made  RPMS for the LFS book and created multi-arch spec
>> files. The installation of these RPMS onto a blank hard drive is
>> done with shell scripts. I have not come across a problem doing
>> multilib because I have made it for i686, UltraSPARC and PowerPC
>> G4, there for no need for multilib yet. Good luck with it tho :)
>
> Way back when I did it with i386 LFS and msde a cdrom installer
> using a modified version of the slinky installer from the RULE
> project - I was thinking of doing a similar thing. Somewhere I
> still have that modified slinky.
>
> But with respect to the RPMs - I don't want multilib RPMs that
> contain binaries for several arch types, I want proper RPMs that
> only contain binaries for one arch type, built in a mock
> environment containing only RPMs of that arch type. I was hoping I
> could build those RPMs from multiarch CLFS but it was glibc and gcc
> that proved to be problematic, particularly glibc - which quite
> demonstratably built differently (not as complete) when --
> target="i686" was passed to rpmbuild, so the 64-bit apps were
> impacting 32-bit building.

What I meant was that I have one spec file for all the arches. When I
build the RPM with it it will only make the RPM for that arch. E.G.
If i run openssl.spec it will make openssl.i686.rpm,
openssl.pcc.spec, openssl.sparc64.spec etc. It will only make i686 on
i686 and so on. The PowerPC and i686 have a different configuration
to the Sparc64 machine and this is shown in the spec file by the %
ifarch statment.

%ifarch sparc64
./Configure linux64-sparcv9 --openssldir=/etc/ssl --prefix=/usr shared
%else
./config --openssldir=/etc/ssl --prefix=/usr shared
%endif

Cosmo~