[Clfs-support] CLFS RPM project

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Sep 27 09:16:23 PDT 2008

Jonathan Norman wrote:

> I have made  RPMS for the LFS book and created multi-arch spec files.
> The installation of these RPMS onto a blank hard drive is done with
> shell scripts. I have not come across a problem doing multilib because I
> have made it for i686, UltraSPARC and PowerPC G4, there for no need for
> multilib yet. Good luck with it tho :)

Way back when I did it with i386 LFS and msde a cdrom installer using a
modified version of the slinky installer from the RULE project - I was
thinking of doing a similar thing. Somewhere I still have that modified
slinky.

But with respect to the RPMs - I don't want multilib RPMs that contain
binaries for several arch types, I want proper RPMs that only contain
binaries for one arch type, built in a mock environment containing only
RPMs of that arch type. I was hoping I could build those RPMs from
multiarch CLFS but it was glibc and gcc that proved to be problematic,
particularly glibc - which quite demonstratably built differently (not
as complete) when --target="i686" was passed to rpmbuild, so the 64-bit
apps were impacting 32-bit building.