[Clfs-support] clfs-embedded on beagle?

b-vol bvl at btconnect.com
Mon Oct 20 09:44:00 PDT 2008

On Saturday 18 October 2008 07:17:33 pm George Boudreau wrote:
> b-vol wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have downloaded the latest version of clfs-embedded.
> > I have an  interest in trying it on the beagle board:
> > http://beagleboard.org/
> >
> > Has anyone on this list attempted this build and if so what has been the
> > results?
>
>    There are a number of packages that need to be updated to give
> CLFSembedded half a chance.
>
>   You will need the svn versions of Busybox and uClibc.
>   Update the kernel to an omap.git to get Beagleboard support. 2.6.27.1
> is not enough.
>   Use kernel headers install (see latest CLFS)
>   Update binutils to 2.18
>   Update gcc to 4.3.1 to pick up the Beagleboard processor.
>   Add u-boot_beagle_revb.tar.gz (necessary to create the kernel uImage).
>
>   All the package updates require significant changes to the build code.
>   Oh, and a _thousand patches_ to the above packages.  :-)
>
>   My CV for the above comments::
>   I have a beagleboard (great toy, lots of potential)
>   I have not been able to get CLFSEmbedded to build due to all the
> changes necessary.
>
>   George
>
> > Comments are welcomed.
> >
> > sincerely
> > b-vol

Dear George

Many thanks for your reply

you wrote
>You will need the svn versions of Busybox and uClibc
I am goint to use busybox-1.12.1 (released just a few days ago) and
uClibc-0.9.30-rc2 (to be released soon) should these not be sufficient and if
not what is so sopecial about the   stuff in svn?

you wrote
> Update the kernel to an omap.git to get Beagleboard support. 2.6.27.1
I am going to linux- 2.6.27.2
do I still need to do the omap.git  kernel update?

you wrote
> Update binutils to 2.18
do you still needs these patches as per clfs-embedded bamely-
i)binutils-2.17-posix-1.patch
ii)binutils-2.17-uclibc-1.patch

=================================
on gcc:
you als wrote :
> Update gcc to 4.3.1 to pick up the Beagleboard processor.
 with gcc4.3.1 do I still need the clfs-embeded patches namely?
a)gcc-4.1.2-posix-1.patch
b)gcc-4.1.2-uclibc-1.patch
c) gcc-4.1.2-cross_search_paths-1.patch

=======================

========================
you also wrote
> All the package updates require significant changes to the build code.
 > Oh, and a _thousand patches_ to the above packages.  :-)

the borad  decribed at  http://beagleboard.org/
leads to patches  described here:-  omap patches 2008
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200810&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200809&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200808&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200807&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200805&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200804&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200803&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200802&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&r=1&b=200801&w=2

for this board do  I need to go back early than 2008?

thaaks again and  I look oreard to your reply  (and input from anyone else on
this list).

bvol