[Clfs-support] Fwd: Re: kemap problems with clfs-bootscript//corrected

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 28 14:31:44 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 08:34:51PM +0000, b-vol wrote:

> On Friday 28 November 2008 08:16:56 pm Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  If your uk.map.gz matches mine, perhaps kbd cannot handle the
> > gzipped file for some reason.
>
> gz on on the uk.map.gz file I copied   to root seems to work:-see below

 I think you misunderstood - what you've shown merely shows that gzip
can make a good job of decompressing it.  That does show that you
have compiled gzip.

 I was assuming that kbd links dynamically to zlib, but that seems
not to be the case on my current system.  [ looks at the code ].
OK, the relevant place is in findfile.c where it uses "gzip -d -c"
for .gz files (it calls this if the file has a .gz extension).  And
we can probably assume that gzip -d -c [ zcat ] works.

 Have you tried loading the decompressed file (uk.map in /root) by
using 'loadkeys /root/uk.map' (specifying the pathname might be
important).

 If that doesn't work, I think the problem is a generic failure, and
the error message might not be related to the cause, i.e. the code
mt an error the programmer hadn't expected.

 If using loadkeys with the path to the uncompressed file did work,
try using it with the path to the compressed file.  Hmm, I think you
tried that already ?  I'm starting to believe you have a more
general problem.

 Consider if you have done anything different from what the book says
(apart from a slightly newer kernel, newer binutils, different udev -
none of those sound likely to cause this apparent miscompilation).
e.g. optimizations in your CFLAGS.

 Try building strace.  Then run something like
  strace loadkeys uk.map.gz 2>trace
and review the (perhaps copious) output in the trace file, looking
for error messages and also to see where it is looking for the map
file.  BTW don't post the file to the list.

 Look for -

o missing files that probably should exist - processor-specific glibc
  files can be ignored)

o perhaps a missing device

o strange paths for where it is looking - or just not in the correct
  /lib/keymaps directory - you had that as 'keymap' in what you
  posted, but I assume that was an error in copying it by hand

 After that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

 As to your other two packages which failed to compile, I know
nothing about them.  If you have a graphical browser you can search
from http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/distro-patches -
certainly, fedora has linux-atm - in fact, this link will hopefully
fix that one, after you sort out loadkeys:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/linux-atm/F-10/linux-atm-gcc43.patch?revision=1.1
(that's from finding the package name in the link from oss-security,
going to F-10 (the latest), selecting the patch, and using
*download* to avoid getting html entities in it.

ĸen