[Clfs-support] Fwd: Re: kemap problems with clfs-bootscript//corrected

b-vol bvl at btconnect.com
Fri Nov 28 12:34:51 PST 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008 08:16:56 pm Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 07:18:12PM +0000, b-vol wrote:
> > A) I re-checked he compile log for kbd-1.14  and the compile and install
> > was without errors.
> > B) I ran  loadkeys uk.map.gz and obtained the following output:-
> > lib/kbd/keymap/i386/qwerty/uk.map.gz:1  syntax error
> > syntax error in map file
> >
> > try another version of kbd?
> > suggestions welcomed
>
>  First thing to do is to look at line 1 of the file, e.g in 'view'
> or with 'zcat ... | head '
>
>  I'm on a box using kbd-1.14.1 and I get
> ken at ac30 ~ $zcat /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.map.gz | head
> # uk.map
> # From bam at wcl-l.bham.ac.uk Fri May  2 20:20:59 1997
> # reduced number of keymaps, adapted to alt_is_meta - aeb
> #
> # old: shift keycode 41 = asciitilde
> # bam: shift keycode 41 = notsign
> #
> keymaps 0-2,4-6,8,9,12
> alt_is_meta
> include "qwerty-layout"
> ken at ac30 ~ $
>
>  I imagine the comments might be ignored in counting lines, but your
> results might be very different.
>
>  If your uk.map.gz matches mine, perhaps kbd cannot handle the
> gzipped file for some reason.
>
> ĸen
got the same output as you ken;  see below:-

bash-3.2# zcat /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.map.gz | head
# uk.map
# From bam at wcl-l.bham.ac.uk Fri May  2 20:20:59 1997
# reduced number of keymaps, adapted to alt_is_meta - aeb
#
# old: shift keycode 41 = asciitilde
# bam: shift keycode 41 = notsign
#
keymaps 0-2,4-6,8,9,12
alt_is_meta
include "qwerty-layout"
bash-3.2#

On Friday 28 November 2008 08:16:56 pm Ken Moffat wrote:
>  If your uk.map.gz matches mine, perhaps kbd cannot handle the
> gzipped file for some reason.

gz on on the uk.map.gz file I copied   to root seems to work:-see below

bash-3.2# gzip  -d uk.map.gz
bash-3.2# cat um.map
cat: um.map: No such file or directory
bash-3.2# cat uk.map
# uk.map
# From bam at wcl-l.bham.ac.uk Fri May  2 20:20:59 1997
# reduced number of keymaps, adapted to alt_is_meta - aeb
#
# old: shift keycode 41 = asciitilde
# bam: shift keycode 41 = notsign
#
keymaps 0-2,4-6,8,9,12
alt_is_meta
include "qwerty-layout"
include "linux-with-alt-and-altgr"
strings as usual

keycode   1 = Escape
keycode   2 = one              exclam
keycode   3 = two              quotedbl         at               nul
keycode   4 = three            sterling
        control keycode   4 = Escape
keycode   5 = four             dollar           dollar
Control_backslash
keycode   6 = five             percent
        control keycode   6 = Control_bracketright
keycode   7 = six              asciicircum
        control keycode   7 = Control_asciicircum
keycode   8 = seven            ampersand        braceleft
Control_underscore
keycode   9 = eight            asterisk         bracketleft      Delete
keycode  10 = nine             parenleft        bracketright
keycode  11 = zero             parenright       braceright
#       alt     keycode  11 = Meta_parenright
keycode  12 = minus            underscore       backslash
Control_underscore
keycode  13 = equal            plus
keycode  14 = Delete
        control keycode  14 = Control_underscore
keycode  15 = Tab
        shift   keycode  15 = Meta_Tab
keycode  26 = bracketleft      braceleft
        control keycode  26 = Escape
keycode  27 = bracketright     braceright       asciitilde
Control_bracketright
keycode  28 = Return
        alt     keycode  28 = Meta_Control_m
keycode  29 = Control
keycode  39 = semicolon        colon
keycode  40 = apostrophe       at
        control keycode  40 = Control_g
        shift   control keycode  40 = nul
keycode  41 = grave            notsign          bar              nul
keycode  42 = Shift
keycode  43 = numbersign       asciitilde
        control keycode  43 = Control_backslash
keycode  51 = comma            less
keycode  52 = period           greater
keycode  53 = slash            question
        control keycode  53 = Delete
keycode  54 = Shift
keycode  56 = Alt
keycode  57 = space
        control keycode  57 = nul
keycode  58 = Caps_Lock
keycode  86 = backslash        bar              bar
Control_backslash
keycode  97 = Control
bash-3.2#