[Clfs-support] updating glibc

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 04:31:03 PST 2008

Chris Staub wrote:
> mike wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> i have a good working x86_64 multilib and i try to compile the new
>> blueZ package but it fails with an error.
>>
>>> device.o: In function `disconnect':
>>> device.c:(.text+0x1847): undefined reference to `g_timeout_add_seconds'
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> the blueZ-mailinglist help with the hint to my glibc.
>> ok, i use /lib[64]/ld-2.5. my question is: can i simply install a new
>> glibc beside the version 2.5? and how can i change the linker to use
>> then the new library instead the old...?
>>
>> for understanding:
>> all installed apps use my ld-2.5 so it must be leave on the hard
>> disk. and after installing the new glibc all new apps use this new
>> library, right?
>>
> Nope. The dynamic linker is hard-wired into every program. To use a
> new Glibc, you must rebuild every package. In other words, if you want
> to upgrade Glibc, you're better off just rebuilding your entire system.
I've seen cases where installing a new version of glibc causes basically
all apps to fail to execute properly. Granted it's rare, but it's always
a possibility. You would want to re-compile everything against glibc
again. Just as a precaution.

> I do know that I've seen some users mention that you could do a minor
> upgrade (like Glibc 2.5 ---> 2.5.1) - as something like that is just
> generally just bugfixes it would likely work. However, anything more
> than that (Glibc 2.5 ---> 2.6 for example) is taking a huge risk.
Agreed, After doing a update like that your best bet would be to
recompile every package that was compiled against Glib. It sucks, but
it's the way it has to be.