[Clfs-support] updating glibc

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Nov 4 09:13:34 PST 2008

mike wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have a good working x86_64 multilib and i try to compile the new blueZ
> package but it fails with an error.
>
>> device.o: In function `disconnect':
>> device.c:(.text+0x1847): undefined reference to `g_timeout_add_seconds'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> the blueZ-mailinglist help with the hint to my glibc.
> ok, i use /lib[64]/ld-2.5. my question is: can i simply install a new
> glibc beside the version 2.5? and how can i change the linker to use
> then the new library instead the old...?
>
> for understanding:
> all installed apps use my ld-2.5 so it must be leave on the hard disk.
> and after installing the new glibc all new apps use this new library,
> right?

Nope. The dynamic linker is hard-wired into every program. To use a new
Glibc, you must rebuild every package. In other words, if you want to
upgrade Glibc, you're better off just rebuilding your entire system.

I do know that I've seen some users mention that you could do a minor
upgrade (like Glibc 2.5 ---> 2.5.1) - as something like that is just
generally just bugfixes it would likely work. However, anything more
than that (Glibc 2.5 ---> 2.6 for example) is taking a huge risk.