[Clfs-support] coreutils-6.12 and hosts using older 2.6 kernels

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Wed Nov 12 09:17:11 PST 2008

Greetings,

     I'm always seeing how old of a host I can use to build CLFS
development. Using an old LFS 6.0 livecd
at the moment.

The fault that the host OS is running an older kernel which does not
support utimensat is not proper.
The fault is with a commit in coreutils which causes the check to
still return ENOSYS on systems
that don't support utimensat.

Here is a problem, the way

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=commitdiff;h=faeb3e6b2191565dc3197804cd9ff624f26a1004

Do we need to include a note for those using kernels where utimensat
isn't in the kernel ( I think since 2.6.22 or somewhere around there
and earlier), or have an optional patch (if this, then do this)?

If the user builds coreutils-6.12 without editing lib/config.h to
undefine the futimensat option, then touch will not
work properly when building glibc. Glibc will error with touch: blah
blah function not implemented.

-William Harrington