[Clfs-support] why Linux-Headers-2.6.20.1-02252007?

b-vol bvl at btconnect.com
Tue Nov 11 00:16:15 PST 2008

Greetings,

I downloaded the latest snapshot of clfs-embedded  (released 8th November
2008).  I noticed it uses  in the build  the following:-
a)Linux-Headers-2.6.20.1-02252007
b)linux-2.6.20.1
Now the the former (the headers) are maintained  by
http://headers.cross-lfs.org/
The  latter website gives the following info relating to Linux headers :-

{
October 2007:
The effort to get mainstream headers into the kernel now meets the needs of
the open source community. There will be no further updates of this project.
The 2.6.23 Kernel has everything in place for headers. Thank you all for your
support.
}

Now the most up-to-date release of the linux kernel   (from
http://www.kernel.org) is   linux-2.6.27.5 -quite a few generations pass
linux-2.6.20.1.  I therefore have two questions:-

a) is there something unique in  Linux-Headers-2.6.20.1-02252007 to build
clfs-embedded?
b) Can a modern kernel (and headers) (eg linux-2.6.27.5) be used to substitute
the aging linux-2.6.20.1?

suggestions welcomed

b-vol