[Clfs-support] 64 bit Source machine

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:07:03 PST 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 01:51:10PM -0500, Joe Ciccone wrote:
>
>> One other thing to note is that if you intend to follow the chroot
>> method, the final system's target triplet is not determined by
>> CLFS_TARGET, it's determined by config.guess which is part of
>> autoconf/automake. Unless you intend to boot the on the target system to
>> build the final system, which i'm assuming you're not going to. I would
>> load a uname hack that makes uname -m report i686 or i586. uname -m will
>> influence the output of config.guess. You can find the tarball here,
>>
>> http://cross-lfs.org/~jciccone/uname_hack-20071212.tar.bz2
>>

>  I was going to say that I think this ought to be in the book, but
> you've already raised the ticket, so it's your call.
>
>  Probably, it only applies to the 32-bit version of x86 (so, other
> arches seem to do it differently, and so far I've not seen any
> indication that it's needed except on i{3,4,5}86).
>
> ĸen

We probably only see this for i?86 because this seems to be the only
time where people try to chroot. On most other hardware you'd typically
reboot. This really only needs to be addressed under i?86, mips32,
sparc32, and possibly ppc? I've thought this has needed to be in the
book for a while aswell, I just have never gotten around to making the
change.