[Clfs-support] FireFox3, xulrunner, yelp and mplayerplug-in

Thu Aug 7 06:52:07 PDT 2008

After reading over various parts of the CBLFS wiki, I've set out to get
FireFox-3.0.1, xulrunner-1.9, yelp-2.22.1 and mplayerplug-in-3.55 all
working together....however, need some help...and this is all being done
on a 32bit only setup.

First, I found no documentation for xulrunner on the wiki, but after
Googling around for a while I've read that it IS needed in order to
compile things like yelp and mplayerplug-in.  The reason for that, is
because FF3 no longer installs the necessary *.pc files...only xulrunner
does that.  So, I've installed FF3 as documented here:
http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Firefox
...however, there is something to note here.  From what I can see, it is
pointless to add the "/opt/firefox-3.0.1/lib/pkgconfig" to your profile.
In fact, "/opt/firefox-3.0.1/lib/pkgconfig" doesn't even exist.  The
pkgconfig stuff only comes from xulrunner.

So after getting FF3 installed, I moved onto xulrunner.  Downloaded the
1.9 source from here:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.9.0.0
..I made sure to rm -rf mozilla before extracting xulrunner, otherwise
it would have extracted over top my FF3 source.  Once extracted, I
changed into the mozilla directory and created the following .mozconfig
file:

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/../obj-xulrunner
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=xulrunner
ac_add_options --enable-application=xulrunner
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default
ac_add_options --disable-javaxpcom
ac_add_options --disable-activex
ac_add_options --disable-activex-scripting
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --prefix=/opt/xulrunner-1.9

...then ran the following:
make -f client.mk build
make -f client.mk install
ln -vsf /opt/xulrunner-1.9 /opt/xulrunner

...then I updated my profile settings to include:
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xulrunner/bin
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH/opt/xulrunner/lib/pkgconfig

Finally, I was ready to try mplayerplug-in and/or yelp.  First, I gave
mplayerplug-in a shot.  It was instantly giving me a problem of not
finding "xpidl":
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gtk2
<snip>
checking for libxul... yes
checking MOZPLUG_CFLAGS... -fshort-wchar
-I/opt/xulrunner-1.9/include/xulrunner-1.9/stable
checking MOZPLUG_LIBS...
-L/opt/xulrunner-1.9/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9/lib -lxpcomglue_s -lxul
-lxpcom -lplds4 -lplc4 -lnspr4 -lpthread -ldl
checking for xpidl... no
configure: error: xpidl compiler not found

A quick look into /opt/xulrunner/bin proved this error correct.  There
was no symlink for the xpidl binary.  So, I ran the following:
cd /opt/xulrunner/bin/
ln -svf ../lib/xulrunner-1.9/xpidl

Switched back over to mplayerplug-in and tried again.  This time, it got
a lot further into the configure, but failed with the following:
<snip>
config.status: creating mplayerplug-in.spec
config.status: creating config.h
/opt/xulrunner/bin/xpidl -w -m header
-I /opt/xulrunner-1.9/share/idl/xulrunner-1.9 -I Source -e
Source/nsIScriptableMplayerPlugin.h
Source/nsIScriptableMplayerPlugin.idl
./Source/nsIScriptableMplayerPlugin.idl:2: can't open included file
nsISupports.idl for reading

input callback returned failure

Hmmmm, not sure why it's still failing, so decided to give yelp a try to
see what errors it might get.  Here is what happened with yelp-2.22.1:

./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --sysconfdir=/opt/gnome/etc
--localstatedir=/opt/gnome/var/lib --disable-gtk-doc /
--disable-docbook-docs
<snip>
checking which gecko to use...
configure: error: No gecko found; you may need to adjust PKG_CONFIG_PATH
or install a mozilla/firefox/xulrunner -devel package
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Nope....yelp-2.22.1 isn't going to work...so I gave yelp-2.23.1 a shot.
Ahhhh, that worked just fine, and installed as expected.  So I'm
thinking that I (finally) have a good xulrunner/FF3 install...but I just
need to get mplayerplug-in working.  I've tried even the latest for
mplayerplug-in (daily as of today) and that still isn't working.  I've
also read that I should try gecko-mediaplayer instead of
mplayerplug-in...however, the lastest of that source is giving the exact
same error.

So I'm getting close, but still having problems.
Thanks,
-Lup