[Clfs-support] Process scheduling and chrt

jignesh gangani jgangani at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 23:05:20 PDT 2008

Thanks Ken and sorry if I sounded like a Linux Sys. Admin. but one of
the reason why
I wanted to build my own distro was performance. I also thought that
I/O scheduler
has something to do with this. If I something that will help others
having same problem then
I will put it on the Archive or something.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>   My server (x86_64-64) used to be sluggish when I was comparing two
>  large files on the same partition (that is, when running cmp against
>  a tarball, and the backup copy of it which I'd read from tape, and
>  sluggish as in "skips when typing in vim, or delays when advancing
>  through mail in mutt).  In that case, I was on the cfq scheduler -
>  changing it to deadline (/sys/block/sdX/queue/scheduler) helped,
>  changing it to noop helped some more.  Possibly, a different
>  scheduler might help in other cases, or not - for my desktops I'm
>  happy with cfq.
>
>   If clamd is as resource hungry as windows virus scanners (I've no
>  idea if it is or isn't), that would explain a lot.
>
>   I don't know about 'migration', whatever that is, but kswapd and
>  the disk driver are part of the kernel.  That real-time priority
>  indication in 'top' might just be a patch to alter _how_ top
>  displays things.  Or, perhaps the distros you looked at have the
>  "real-time" patches in their kernels (but, I would have thought that
>  unlikely for RHEL).
>

>  ĸen
>  --
>  das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

Jignesh D. Gangani