[Clfs-support] Can't mount root at boot

Arnie Stender astender at aagstender.org
Sun Nov 25 13:10:35 PST 2007

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 08:42:40AM -0600, Arnie Stender wrote:
>
>> Hi Ken,
>>     Interesting, I never heard of that configuration option. As it turns
>> out SuSE has it and CLFS doesn't. I think I'll try to reboot using
>> manual options instead of rebuilding the kernel right now but where did
>> you find out what that option was used for? Is it documented anywhere?
>> It doesn't look too intuitive to me. :-(
>>

>  Oh, just something I had to use on my AmigaOne (the built-in IDE
> was thought to be terminally broken, although in fact the underlying
> issues also affected dma on add-on cards).
>
>  Like most things, I think it's documented when you find it, but
> knowing what to build into your kernel requires experience (repeated
> builds, some not useful, and skimming lkml).  As a general rule,
> finding an optimal config takes a long time, I'm still not there on
> my mac G5, and lots of studying menuconfig - mostly, the '<Help>'
> option provides some info.
>
> ĸen

Stan/Ken,
    I LOVE you guys!!! I have been fighting this thing for months. When
I first completed the CLFS build I got the same error about not being
able to mount root and to tell you the truth I don't know when I started
getting the JFS error but everything works great now. As I posted
earlier, I have a 3 disk RAID5 data disk. When I added it to the SuSE
the disks came up as sda, sdb and sdc. That always bothered me because I
like the first disk(s) to be the OS but I don't like changing default on
things like that because then I have to remember what all I changed if I
ever have to re-build. I hate taking notes. :-( Now I have a working
system with my system disks first then my data disks. I guess now I need
to dig into BLFS. Thanks a bunch for all your wisdom.

Arnie