[Clfs-support] Can't mount root at boot

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 25 05:46:19 PST 2007

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 03:21:23PM -0700, Stan Sander wrote:

> How do you know the CLFS kernel is seeing the data disks as sda, sdb,
> and sdc if it won't boot up?  Only thing I can think of to prove this is
> to edit the command line (this can be done from the grub boot menu
> screen, but I can't remember the keystrokes without seeing the screens
> -- it's printed in the help or perhaps at the bottom of the menu screen
> IIRC) doing it from these screens will save booting to Open Suse,
> editing the menu.lst, rebooting, etc. etc.  I would try passing
> root=/dev/sda1 (then sdb1, etc) to the kernel of the CLFS system just to
> see what happens.

 Sound advice.  Arnie can also try using 'PgUp' to look at the
messages after it fails to find the root fs, to see which drives are
where - my guess is that Suse either adds extra drivers which lets it
see more controllers, or else he has added/deleted the config option
to boot off-board drives first (probably,
'CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD').

ĸen