[Clfs-support] I'm getting closer but still no cigar

Arnie Stender astender at aagstender.org
Fri Nov 23 09:28:04 PST 2007

Hi Folks,
    First the back ground. I have built a CLFS Multi-lib for my AMD
Athlon 64 based workstation from Version SVN-20070724-x86_64-Multilib
and have still not been able to boot the system. I started out with
errors when it tried to mount the root (/) file system that said
something about not having support for options in the file system. I
tried to post a request for help but somehow my account got messed up
and I couldn't post. I hope i at least have that fixed now and you are
getting this one. Anyway, while I have been working on that I have been
trying to fix the problem myself and went back and read the part about
preparing the disks to build the system and saw the hint about using the
e2fsprogs I was going to install to make the file system. I did not do
that when I started but when I had this problem I went back and
re-created the FS as shown in the hint. I still got the same errors. I
had this week off of work so I have had some time to try more things one
of which was actually booting off the new system's MBR. I had been
trying to boot into the new CLFS system from the host system's boot menu
by adding a stanza for CLFS. Anyway I had a lot of problems getting grub
to install my new MBR but it finally worked and now I'm booting from my
CLFS disk's MBR and menu and when I try to boot my new CLFS I get a
different error. I have tried to search the archives and not come up
with anything. I tried Google but nothing with the same error number.

    Now the current situation. When I boot the CLFS it loads the kernel
and gets to where it tries to mount the root partition but now the error
it reports is "Mount JFS Failure: -22". The root file system is ext2 and
that is what it says in the fstab. This time around I used the CLFS
version of mkfs.ext2 to create the file system. On other attempts I have
used mke2fs. As always, any help will be greatly appreciated. I really
want ot move on into BLFS and get a fully functional BLFS workstation
again.

Arnie