[Clfs-dev] why there isn't any standard CLFS ARM Book?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 26 11:44:19 PST 2018

On 11/21/18 7:37 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 01:41:26AM +0100, Michele Bucca wrote:
> For this, I believe that CLFS is moribund.  X86 and little-endian
> won.  What is probably needed is (as in LFS) developers.

Way back when I did https://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html and these days I'm
doing a much smaller/simpler one at https://github.com/landley/mkroot but my end
result is still "Build Linux From Scratch natively under QEMU on each target,
with distcc calling out to the cross compiler so it's less slow".

> But whether a non-embedded Pi build makes general sense (rather
> than "because you can") I have no idea.  In particular, a system
> which lives on SD cards appears to have limited lifetime - based
> on comments I was reading elsewhere about what people would like
> in the next Pi.

Hi, I've spent the past 5 years slowly turning Android into a self hosting
development environment:

http://youtu.be/SGmtP5Lg_t0
https://landley.net/toybox/about.html

It's slower than I like, but progressing reasonably well:

https://twitter.com/landley/status/1064582061464449026

> But like all replies on forums, it might be mistaken.  If so, I have
> no idea, except that another result said that changing to armv7a
> apparently solved a similar problem (it also said that armv7 is the
> *intersection* between armv7a and armv7m, so not particularly
> useful).  But hey, hacking on toolchains is always fun (for painful
> values of fun).

I believe armv7a is basically "normal" armv7, armv7r is nommu, and armv7m is
cortex-m only _and_ nommu. (The "l" in armv7l stands for little endian. There
are big endian arm systems but they're about as common as being albino.)

Long ago I tried to keep track of this:

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/architectures.html#arm

But I've been busy with other things recently...

Rob