[Clfs-dev] Is CLFS still alive?

Frans de Boer frans at fransdb.nl
Sat Dec 29 01:57:52 PST 2018

On 29-12-18 02:49, Michele Bucca wrote:

> Il 28 dic 2018 10:36 PM, "Rob Landley" <rob at landley.net
> <mailto:rob at landley.net>> ha scritto:
>
>     On 12/28/18 2:51 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
>     > Dear Reader,
>     >
>     > After many years on the LFS en BLFS lists, having used their
>     insight to build my
>     > own systems and learned from it, it is time to move on. So, CLFS
>     was the next
>     > route since I have plans to use other hardware too.
>     >
>     > I found out , however, that CLFS is not that vibrant. At least
>     looking at the
>     > site where mid-2017 is the last time with any significant
>     development. Of course
>     > I have looked elsewhere to see how to build a cross-compiler in
>     the first place
>     > and then continue with following the CLFS route. Alas until now
>     to no avail.
>     > Many projects, but all are old or based upon old projects and do
>     not work
>     > properly with current gcc tools.
>

> To build a Glibc toolchain I use the CLFS-embedded instructions mixed
> with LFS instructions and I use the packages of the latest stable
> release. Same discourse goes for a musl toolchain: clfs-embedded
> instructions and LFS packages
>
> - Michele
>

>     https://github.com/landley/mkroot
>     <https://github.com/landley/mkroot> has a toolchain build script
>     that configures
>     Rich Felker's musl-cross-make for several architecture targets.
>     There are
>     binaries of the output at
>     http://mkroot.musl.cc/mcm-i686-gcc-7.3.0/
>     <http://mkroot.musl.cc/mcm-i686-gcc-7.3.0/> if you want
>     to skip the source build. (What mkroot itself does is build minimal
>     boot-to-a-shell-prompt systems for each of those architectures.)
>
>     I'm also engaging with the Android NDK guys to try to get that
>     fleshed out a bit
>     more as a bionic build toolchain.
>
>     I don't have any glibc variants, but in theory there are debian
>     toolchains for
>     that? (Sorry, gnu/libc isn't very interesting anymore...)
>
>     > So, I keep searching for proper and most of all clear,
>     explanations when to use
>     > which switches on gcc. Also hoping that CLFS will be updated.
>     >
>     > Although that might be wishful thinking looking at the state of
>     the CLFS site it
>     > self.
>     > So, any plans to revive the site and project itself?
>
>     I'm vaguely trying to do something like LFS for Android:
>
>     https://landley.net/toybox/about.html
>     <https://landley.net/toybox/about.html>
>
>     But that's a longish-term project aimed at a moving target...
>
>     My previous project along these lines was a lot closer to LFS:
>
>     https://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html
>     <https://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html>
>
>     Rob

Thanks all for your replies.
It does, however, not answer the first question, whether or not CLFS is
still alive or is planning to come alive again.
Due to lack of answers I - for now - assume that neither is the case.
Still, the documents as well as your answers  provide some pointers
which I shall incorporate in my current project.

Thanks again and a happy new year!

-- Frans.