[Clfs-dev] Is CLFS still alive?

Michele Bucca michele.bucca at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 17:49:04 PST 2018

Il 28 dic 2018 10:36 PM, "Rob Landley" <rob at landley.net> ha scritto:

On 12/28/18 2:51 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
> Dear Reader,
>
> After many years on the LFS en BLFS lists, having used their insight to
build my
> own systems and learned from it, it is time to move on. So, CLFS was the
next
> route since I have plans to use other hardware too.
>
> I found out , however, that CLFS is not that vibrant. At least looking at
the
> site where mid-2017 is the last time with any significant development. Of
course
> I have looked elsewhere to see how to build a cross-compiler in the first
place
> and then continue with following the CLFS route. Alas until now to no
avail.
> Many projects, but all are old or based upon old projects and do not work
> properly with current gcc tools.

To build a Glibc toolchain I use the CLFS-embedded instructions mixed with
LFS instructions and I use the packages of the latest stable release. Same
discourse goes for a musl toolchain: clfs-embedded instructions and LFS
packages

- Michele

https://github.com/landley/mkroot has a toolchain build script that
configures
Rich Felker's musl-cross-make for several architecture targets. There are
binaries of the output at http://mkroot.musl.cc/mcm-i686-gcc-7.3.0/ if you
want
to skip the source build. (What mkroot itself does is build minimal
boot-to-a-shell-prompt systems for each of those architectures.)

I'm also engaging with the Android NDK guys to try to get that fleshed out
a bit
more as a bionic build toolchain.

I don't have any glibc variants, but in theory there are debian toolchains
for
that? (Sorry, gnu/libc isn't very interesting anymore...)

> So, I keep searching for proper and most of all clear, explanations when
to use
> which switches on gcc. Also hoping that CLFS will be updated.
>
> Although that might be wishful thinking looking at the state of the CLFS
site it
> self.
> So, any plans to revive the site and project itself?

I'm vaguely trying to do something like LFS for Android:

  https://landley.net/toybox/about.html

But that's a longish-term project aimed at a moving target...

My previous project along these lines was a lot closer to LFS:

  https://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html

Rob