[Clfs-dev] Systemd and adjtime

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Mar 10 18:48:26 PDT 2014

On Mar 10, 2014, at 7:55 PM, Martin Ward wrote:

>> We need to redo the whole boot method. I suggest an init.c which
>> does everything and scrap bootscripts,
> could you explain a bit more

Basically the init.c binary does all that bootscripts would do, it's
almost like what an init script in an initrd would perform. Mount
filesystems, etc, and if devtmpfs is in the kernel and it automounts,
even less to deal with regarding /dev.  A minimal boot system doesn't
require much, not even network scripts cause the kernel can use ip=
and use ip auto level configuration for dhcp or static. But wireless
can be a bit different. But networking is out of the scope for a boot
system.

It's basically overkill and not required.  Another idea is to create a
menu system like busybox, but for building an init.c to boot the
system with then build it statically and use it in /sbin/init.  But
that's a bit cumbersome to do.

I think we need to look more closely at your messages a while back in
two parts for boot method. I sent a message earlier about getting that
going now.

I start a new job in a week or so, but I still have time to work
heavily on some things.