[Clfs-dev] ARM Books

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Tue Jan 7 06:24:31 PST 2014

On 01/06/2014 01:32 PM, William Harrington wrote:
> Greetings CLFS gurus,
>
> We have a ARM devices and some are rather impressive for their
> processing power.
>
> Adding ARM to the book isn't a big task.
>
> Basically we can use common for every package in the xml book.
>
> What needs to change are the variables sections, linux header install
> sections (install arm arch for eglibc in cross-tools), add a few other
> variables for gcc builds. and have a table for different arm targets.
>
> I've built for raspberry pi and beaglebone black using the x86 book (
> which uses common mostly) and the changes above is what I recall I had
> to implement for a proper build.
>
> I don't know of all the ARM targets but I think we could set up a table
> for that.
>
> Compared to mips, I don't know about arm and soft float or if even
> exists, and I haven't bothered looking into it. I've used hard float all
> times.
>
> Mostly I'd do what I did for the ppc64-64 book. Take what is common and
> then what ARM requires, create xml for that.

Sounds like a good idea to me! :)

Might be easier once the simp changes are all merged, as adding yet
another arch before doing the simp changes might make doing simp just
that much more annoying.  But maybe it's not a big deal and getting ARM
in earlier is better?

Regarding soft/hard floats, most ARM9 targets are going to be soft float
as except for one NXP device I believe all lack floating point hardware
(ie: pretty much every armv5).  Any armv7-a targets should at least have
vfpv3-d16, most have even more capable hardware.

Thanks,
Andrew