[Clfs-dev] Eglibc and Internationalization text

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Fri Jan 10 11:46:22 PST 2014

Greetings,

Is this still valid?

Some locales installed by the make localedata/install-locales command
above are not properly supported by some applications that are in CLFS
and CBLFS. Because of the various problems that arise due to
application programmers making assumptions that break in such locales,
CLFS should not be used in locales that utilize multibyte character
sets (including UTF-8) or right-to-left writing order. Numerous
unofficial and unstable patches are required to fix these problems,
and it has been decided by the CLFS developers not to support such
complex locales at this time. This applies to the ja_JP and fa_IR
locales as well—they have been installed only for GCC and Gettext
tests to pass, and the watch program (part of the Procps package) does
not work properly in them. Various attempts to circumvent these
restrictions are documented in internationalization-related hints.

I noticed that when I was upgrading systemd branch to procps-ng.

Do these still need to be installed for gettext and watch for procps-ng?