[Clfs-dev] Systemd branch and main book

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Jan 6 10:10:02 PST 2014

Greetings,

Chris has done a lot of work regarding systemd.

We were talking and would like to have systemd as the main book.

I wouldn't mind creating a sysvinit branch and removing the systemd
branch.

I also, wouldn't mind maintaining a book for sysvinit and systemd.

I also realize that once we implement the simp branch into the main
book, we could effectively have one branch and if sysvinit build the
sysvinit book, if systemd, build the systemd book. It's a ways to go,
but what is the community input about systemd as the main book?

We can drop sysvinit all together and people can refer to the old
books regarding that boot system.

Another problem is cblfs. We may want to start referring people to
BLFS. There are lots of things obsolete in CBLFS and we don't keep
CBLFS releases for every CLFS release. CBLFS is good to refer when
building a multilib system and for different archs (openssl for
example).

I don't know what to do with CBLFS. I update as I build, but there
hasn't been any updates other than from a few of us and it has been
sporadic.
I end up using BLFS. I haven't built a desktop build for a long time.
I use CLFS builds for my server, so I sometimes upgrade CBLFS based on
what I build.