[Clfs-dev] clfs 2.1.0 multilib section 7.9 eudev 1.3

Pierre Lorenzon devel at pollock-nageoire.net
Sun Jan 5 11:54:42 PST 2014

Hi All,

make failed for following reason :

I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl

This is during making the manual.

1. Compiling with configure option --disable-manpages makes no
error. Sure we do not have the man pages but are they really
necessary for this small preliminary system ?

2. Are the manpages automatically not built if xsltproc is not
present on the system. so my system problem is that have
xsltproc ?

3. If building these manpages is really important xsltproc
should be part of the system requirements at top of the
book. Personnaly I'd say that it should not : xsltproc is
something to much specialized to be part of a basic systme.

4. Anyway even if we admit that we need xsltproc we should
admit as well that the machine on wich the clfs building will
be performed should be connected to the network. Indeed the
ressources that could not be reached here seem to be external
resources. It is never mentioned anywhere in the book as far as
I know. But I do not know everything !

Anyway I personnally think that a distributed package should be
self contained and should not need access to such external
ressources. This last remark is surely not for the clfs team
whose work i particularly appreciate but for the eudev
devloppers. And if I could be more sarcastic I would wonder if
such a remote documentation would be better maintained as a
local one ...

I should say that I did maybe something wrong that cause that
xsltproc could not access the remote ressource : If it is the
case please simply tell me !

Regards

Pierre