[Clfs-dev] grub-2.0 on x86_64-64

Maurice Kinal mkinal at shawlink.ca
Sat Oct 19 16:34:58 PDT 2013

Hey William!

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 05:50:21PM -0500, William Harrington wrote:
> My pure64 x86 builds haven't ever errored on grub 2.00 either. Not
> sure what the problem is.

I should have been more specific, as it builds fine but the end result
doesn't work - either won't boot (get infinite menu loop) or
grub-install cannot detect the drive.  I think it is probably the
motherboard/bios now that I've played with it more.  It has caused other
issues in the past with respect to booting, especially usb boots.

> Is there something else you are doing different that we don't know
> about?

Probably but not this time.  ;-)

> Grub builds fine even when adding --platform=efi  which will install
> for x86_64-efi

Yes that did work once on this particular system -> Intel D525MW.  It is
an Atom based board.  I have another one with the same cpu/chipsets but
a better bios that I'll try this on later.

> I don't get a build error.

See above.  I think it is a hardware/bios issue.  The only way I could
get a pure 64 bit build to actually boot when overwriting stubs.h was to
add the switches as I originally posted OR not overwrite the installed
stubs.h and use the exact build as specified for grub in the CLFS
documentation.

Other than my current issues, is there any good reason to overwrite
stubs.h on an x86_64 target, pure 64 bit or otherwise?

Life is good,
Maurice