[Clfs-dev] Util Linux 2.24 and multilib

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Fri Nov 8 14:28:44 PST 2013

On Nov 8, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:

> Looks like you have found another instance of the issue that lead to
> this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org/msg18465.html
>
> Actually, it is librt which loads libpthread (using rpath to search
> for it),
> so -lpthread is not necessary, except that at link time, rpath is
> not always
> used, depending on whether binutils was configured with sysroot
> capability or not.
>
> The (not really evident at first sight) proper fix is to add --with-
> sysroot
> to binutils configure. It is not documented in top configure, but in
> ld's
> configure.

We use --with-sysroot=${CLFS} for cross-tools.
We don't have --with-sysroot during temp system binutils  build.
For the final-system we don't have --with-sysroot, either.

> Now, to the question, how did it work for version 2.23.2? I have no
> clue.
> Maybe your /etc/ld.so.conf was set differently, Or util-linux passed
> -lpthread...

The ld.so.conf I don't even add anything extra in there. Right now it
is an empty file.

Also, I had no issues with the 32bit or pure64 bit builds. It seems to
be only multilib.