[Clfs-dev] Latest build updates(gcc 4.8.2 etc) and config.cache changes

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 6 09:37:01 PST 2013

On 06/11/13 16:04, William Harrington wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Martin Ward wrote:
>
>> checked out a full build using 32 bit kernel 2.6.30.5, glibc 2.9, and
>> gcc 4.4.1
>> pure 64 build
>>
>> used kernel headers from 3.12
>> gcc-4.8.2, no updates as prefer unpatched version
>> eglibc 2.18 r24452 (much the same as the book version, poss. a couple
>> of nptl update for ppc)
>>

> I have 24420 when I built with the dual p3 last week. May wait till
> 2.19 before anymore updates.
>
>> mpfr 3.12 has small amount of bugs, arch has a patch for them
>>

> Yeah we'll need to include them.
>
>> binutils-2.23.2
>> added --enable-plugins
>> --enable-threads, not strictly necessary but added anyway
>>

> Is that for final system?
i add that to both, can't remember where i saw why, will try to find
refereence later

>> config.cache changes
>> Coreutils-8.21 guessed yes
>> Findutils-4.4.2 guessed yes
>> Flex-2.5.37 guessed yes
>> Gettext-0.18.3.1 guessed yes
>> Grep-2.14 set to yes, so we can remove this?
>> M4-1.4.17 guessed yes except gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg which as
>> been replaced by gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg1 and
>> gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg2 both guessed yes
>> Tar-1.27 all guessed yes except gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg which as
>> been replaced by gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg1 and
>> gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg2 both guessed yes and
>> ac_cv_func_realloc_0_nonnull not found in configure at all
>>

> I went through the config caches a while back. We have grep 2.15 now,
> though.
ooh missed that .., will check later on that

> I'll double check them all but I saw where there were yes being
> guessed multiple times. I prefer to not have them guessed.
> The invalid variables we can take out or change to the proper
> variables for null and any others.
>
>> Texinfo-5.2 no need for separate make steps, will go straight through
>> a make to completion
>>

> Built with Texinfo 5.2. We'll need to add sed commands to binutils for
> final system as we do in cross tools and temp system.
or a patch

>> on to boot method later
>>

> As far as check. We need to move it to tools. If someone doesn't build
> the test suite tools, check won't get installed and kbd will fail in
> final-system.
i think that is what i did last build
> Sure, someone can go ahead and install check even not the rest of the
> test suite commands, but the user has no clue that kbd will require
> check until they go to build it, especially if they aren't familiar
> with the build process.
agreed

> As far as static libraries, shall we remove them for tools and
> final-system, too? In my last build I built a shared library for flex
> and bison, as HLFS does. I've removed all static libs. I saw LFS doing
> it and gave it a whirl, although they still install the static bison
> and flex libraries.
to be honest, these days, disk space is not an issue, i'd rather keep
them , just in case something happens later on, Only need to remove if
you are a purist IMHO

> I also used automake 1.14 in my current build, as well. Now that Linux
> 3.12 is out, may bump up to that.
will check that out as well

> Thank you for your updated progress report.

no problem