[Clfs-dev] Latest build updates(gcc 4.8.2 etc) and config.cache changes

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Nov 6 08:04:52 PST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Martin Ward wrote:

> checked out a full build using 32 bit kernel 2.6.30.5, glibc 2.9,
> and gcc 4.4.1
> pure 64 build
>
> used kernel headers from 3.12
> gcc-4.8.2, no updates as prefer unpatched version
> eglibc 2.18 r24452 (much the same as the book version, poss. a
> couple of nptl update for ppc)

I have 24420 when I built with the dual p3 last week. May wait till
2.19 before anymore updates.

> mpfr 3.12 has small amount of bugs, arch has a patch for them

Yeah we'll need to include them.

> binutils-2.23.2
> added --enable-plugins
> --enable-threads, not strictly necessary but added anyway

Is that for final system?

> config.cache changes
> Coreutils-8.21 guessed yes
> Findutils-4.4.2 guessed yes
> Flex-2.5.37 guessed yes
> Gettext-0.18.3.1 guessed yes
> Grep-2.14 set to yes, so we can remove this?
> M4-1.4.17 guessed yes except gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg which as
> been replaced by gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg1 and
> gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg2 both guessed yes
> Tar-1.27 all guessed yes except gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg which as
> been replaced by gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg1 and
> gl_cv_func_mbrtowc_null_arg2 both guessed yes and
> ac_cv_func_realloc_0_nonnull not found in configure at all

I went through the config caches a while back. We have grep 2.15 now,
though.

I'll double check them all but I saw where there were yes being
guessed multiple times. I prefer to not have them guessed.
The invalid variables we can take out or change to the proper
variables for null and any others.

> Texinfo-5.2 no need for separate make steps, will go straight
> through a make to completion

Built with Texinfo 5.2. We'll need to add sed commands to binutils for
final system as we do in cross tools and temp system.

> on to boot method later

As far as check. We need to move it to tools. If someone doesn't build
the test suite tools, check won't get installed and kbd will fail in
final-system.
Sure, someone can go ahead and install check even not the rest of the
test suite commands, but the user has no clue that kbd will require
check until they go to build it, especially if they aren't familiar
with the build process.

As far as static libraries, shall we remove them for tools and final-
system, too? In my last build I built a shared library for flex and
bison, as HLFS does. I've removed all static libs. I saw LFS doing it
and gave it a whirl, although they still install the static bison and
flex libraries.

I also used automake 1.14 in my current build, as well. Now that Linux
3.12 is out, may bump up to that.

Thank you for your updated progress report.