[Clfs-dev] pkg-config and util-linux (chroot method)

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun Nov 3 06:15:13 PST 2013

Hi,

I think it is my first message to this list, so let me introduce myself. I am
a physics professor with a hobby: building linux from scratch ;-) My primary
contribution up to now has been mainly to help maintaining and updating the
automatic building tool jhalfs. This is a very part time activity, so is
compatible with my main job...
Recently, William Harrington sent patches for the CLFS part of the jhalfs
tool, which I committed, so I thought I should give a try to CLFS, for testing
purpose, and also out of curiosity :-).

Today is my first (automated using jhalfs) build of CLFS-x86_64-64, using the
chroot method. Right now, the eglibc tests are running.

I encountered one difficulty, which is that when building util-linux (8.2) for
the chroot method, "configure" finds pkg-config on the build host, wines about
it not being prefixed with the target host triplet, but nevertheless uses it.
So it finds libraries on the host, which are not usable later on during
make... I got an error while linking "script-replay".

I first tried to set PKG_CONFIG=true for configure (as is done in the "if you
are going to boot" chapter), but got errors when linking more (something like
the switch '-ltinfo' was missing).

I then just set PKG_CONFIG= for configure, and it worked.

As I am new to CLFS, I am maybe telling something trivial, which I should have
addressed to clfs-support. If this is so, please forgive me. I hope it is of
some help though...

Regards
Pierre