[Clfs-dev] GIT-0.0.1-20120922-arm: Tracker Request

Eric Herman eric at freesa.org
Wed Mar 20 00:29:35 PDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 03:27 AM, Kirk Terrell wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 06:16 PM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:35:23 -0800
>> Kirk Terrell <knjterrell at mybluelight.com> wrote:

>> Is it worth keeping ARM big endian around in the embedded book?
>>
>> If not, then that easily begs the question of if it's worth keeping the
>> wrt "arch" around since it's just MIPS but with a few tweaks to support
>> the WRT routers.
>>
>> I don't want to rip out useful things, but due to low developer time
>> for the embedded book, reducing the number of configurations / archs
>> supported seems like a reasonable thing to do. Based on memory, most
>> of the people building the embedded book are doing so on ARM little
>> endian armv5 or armv7-a with a few here and there doing x86 or MIPS.
>>
>> What do you, and the list, think?

Before, my 2 cents, full disclosure: I have not used the embedded book.

The only big-endian I've done is on my old boat-anchor of a PPC iMac ...
which is still sitting on a 3 year old CLFS install - not embedded.

The "arch" is still useful for several routers, e.g.: I have a WL-700gE
which is MIPS ... but personally, I follow the regular CLFS book, not
the embedded book.

I have no idea if anyone does anything with ARM following the embedded
book. I have a RaspberryPi, but when I get around to it, I'll probably
be CLFSing it from the regular book.

Since the books are not executable, and it's not simply a matter of
getting some hardware donated and pressing the "go" button, it requires
someone to invest non-trivial time and effort.

While it may be a bit disappointing, unless someone offers to invest the
time to maintain the various architectures for the embedded book, I
think it is very reasonable to remove them -- perhaps replace them with
a note that other architectures have been supported in the past.

-Eric

P.S.: Too much do I see that I fall victim to letting the pursuit of
perfection undermine my ability to deliver something of value.
Generally, I think it is better to have progress on something small than
have something bigger and better which never delivers.

--
http://www.freesa.org/ -- mobile: +31 620719662
aim: ericigps -- skype: eric_herman -- jabber: eric.herman at gmail.com