[Clfs-dev] GIT-0.0.1-20120922-arm: Tracker Request

Kirk Terrell knjterrell at mybluelight.com
Tue Mar 19 19:27:09 PDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 06:16 PM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:35:23 -0800
> Kirk Terrell <knjterrell at mybluelight.com> wrote:
>
>> While trying to create arm system with big-endian I was unable to
>> finish compiling uClibc. I've attached the error log. In reviewing
>> the ARM book versus the MIPS book I notice that the gcc compilation
>> does not call out the endianness. I haven't had a chance to verify
>> that adding the compilation option --with-endian=${CLFS_ENDIAN}
>> addresses the issue.
>
> Is it worth keeping ARM big endian around in the embedded book?
>
> If not, then that easily begs the question of if it's worth keeping the
> wrt "arch" around since it's just MIPS but with a few tweaks to support
> the WRT routers.
>
> I don't want to rip out useful things, but due to low developer time
> for the embedded book, reducing the number of configurations / archs
> supported seems like a reasonable thing to do.  Based on memory, most
> of the people building the embedded book are doing so on ARM little
> endian armv5 or armv7-a with a few here and there doing x86 or MIPS.
>
> What do you, and the list, think?
>
> -Andrew
> Want to place your ad here?
> Advertise on United Online
> http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3365/51491a0aa62b319df2c9bmp06duc

Should have posted something earlier. Upon further review purely my
fault. In naming the target I did not conform to good practices for big
endian should have had arm*b-... This is shown in the example in the
book. I havent looked in depth but appears that binutils is affected by
the target name. I was able to compile a big-endian arm system , running
on a QEMU system.