[Clfs-dev] Eudev

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 6 12:34:32 PDT 2013

On 06/06/13 20:18, William Harrington wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2013, at 1:36 PM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
>
>> Can you elaborate as to why systemd isn't desired?  Especially if udev
>> is?
>
> Systemd is a pretty big step right? I don't know much about systemd
> and have never used it.
>
> I was following discussion with it in LFS dev mailing lists and there
> is a Systemd branch, but they are sticking with the more simpler
> extracted udev
> I was under the impression to install systemd, we'd have to add quite
> a few more deps in final-system. If we are to keep a minimal system,
> that might be counterproductive.
Yes you would need a few more packages

I've done three full builds with systemd, including desktop packages
such as XFCE,KDE and requires dependencies

Pure 64 build following boot method For CLFS as a bare minimum you will need

attr-2.4.46
libcap-2.22
expat-2.1.0
XML-Parser-2.41
intltool-0.50.2
gperf-3.0.4
dbus-1.6.10
systemd-204

The method, I used was to follow the book all the way through didn't
cross compile any of these packages listed above, used sysvinit and
standalone udev + minimal bootscripts for booting until final system

There are a number of adjustments to be made to configuration files and
some additional switches to configure arguments for packages along the way
Some are simple others took a bit of reading up, both the LFS book and
the Arch Linux wiki and package set up were refered to

> On the other hand, if systemd is great and all that, we need more devs
> active on the book. Then we'll need to edit cblfs as well for systemd.

Yes more work, cblfs needs a lot of attention!!