[Clfs-dev] Zlib dev during Chapter 5 cross tools

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 6 02:33:00 PDT 2013

On 06/06/13 02:48, William Harrington wrote:
> Since moving to gcc 4.8.x I noticed something interesting.
>
> I normally use LFS or CLFS builds to build current LFS or CLFS
> versions, but sometimes I use debian.
>
> I did notice today that the host system needs zlib headers available.
> I have built LFS and CLFS a lot with debian and I think this is
> something new.
>
> We need to either build zlib during cross tools or in the host system
> requirements make sure that the host has the zlib dev files. Otherwise
> lto will fail during gcc build.

I think that's a job for the builder to check the host system requirements

> Adding zlib to cross tools is no issue, but is it needed? We cannot
> rely on users making sure their host has their distro's zlib dev
> package installed.

Why not?, I'm assuming that the user is sufficiently intelligent to work
out that they need headers and such after reading the host system
requirements page, otherwise we will be adding all sorts of packages
just to get headers installed.

So just add a zlib entry to the host system requirements page.