[Clfs-dev] Zlib dev during Chapter 5 cross tools

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Jun 5 18:48:06 PDT 2013

Since moving to gcc 4.8.x I noticed something interesting.

I normally use LFS or CLFS builds to build current LFS or CLFS
versions, but sometimes I use debian.

I did notice today that the host system needs zlib headers available.
I have built LFS and CLFS a lot with debian and I think this is
something new.

We need to either build zlib during cross tools or in the host system
requirements make sure that the host has the zlib dev files. Otherwise
lto will fail during gcc build.

Adding zlib to cross tools is no issue, but is it needed? We cannot
rely on users making sure their host has their distro's zlib dev
package installed.

Any comments on how to go about this?

SIncerely,