[Clfs-dev] Linux 3.10

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 22 12:14:20 PDT 2013

On 22/07/13 19:58, William Harrington wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking to add bc to the book and linux 3.10.
>
> Bc is now used instead of perl for generating timeconst.h since linux
> 3.9.
>
> The boot method will require Bc from the host. Otherwise, we can build
> Bc and toss it into cross-tools.
>
> Host system requirements would need to reflect Bc if we don't put it
> into cross-tools.
>
> Bc will not be required on the host when using the chroot method, but
> it will be required when using the boot method.
> Bc will not be required on the host when Bc is in cross-tools and
> using the boot method.
>
> Any input on which way would be best? Personally, not needing to deal
> much with the host system would be nice. Do most distributions install
> Bc by default? Or do users go out of their way to install Bc?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington

Hi

I put bc-1.06.95 in cross-tools and cross-compiled it into tools, didn't
encounter any problems

I did try rob landley's patch for removal of perl/bc but it didn't work
for me on the cross compile phase, maybe needed a later version

I suppose it depends on what version the host distro has AFAIK, thats
the latest version 1.06.95

cheers

Martin