[Clfs-dev] Download utility for final system

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Sat Sep 1 19:51:49 PDT 2012

On Sep 1, 2012, at 21:47 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> An issue we need to discuss.
>
> In the final system we do not have an ftp client (which can be used
> to ftp to a server to get curl or wget or whatever other utility to
> download packages for cblfs).
>
> We can do two things here:
>
> get rid of iputils and install inetutils, which we dropped as it
> wasn't being maintained and is now.
>
> build wget in final-system without openssl support (people can grab
> openssl after final system then rebuild wget with openssl support)
>
> curl is another option,however, wget is enough.
>
> I'd like input into this as we have no client ftp or http to
> download packages with a minimal build which needs something to
> download packages for going beyond CLFS.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Wiliam Harringotn

I would like to also note, that inetutils in the past gave issues
with sparc64 and I was in deep with the devs to figure out why ping
and ftp would segfault, and we found the reason why, but I don't know
if it is fixed. I was always using netkit ftp and other netkit utils
rather than inetutils or iputiles. Just a thought. I don't know if
netkit is still being maintained.