[Clfs-dev] CLFS cross compile of coreutils failed

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Sat Nov 3 07:59:14 PDT 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 2:41 AM, code monkey wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I tried building CLFS for PowerPC from my x86 box and the cross
> compile of coreutils failed.     (in the temporary tools section).
>
> It looks like a recent coreutils problem.   I found a thread
> describing the exact same failure I found (except it was cross
> compiling for ARM):
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2012-10/msg00176.html
>
> So, I think there will need to be some fix added for this issue.

Today I was doing x86_64 to ppc  cross-tools and tools and ran into
the issue.

The no_install programs, which are used for the test suites, get built
expecting to be ran on the target machine as it is built using the
target toolchain instead of the host toolchain. I tried adding HOSTCC
to automake.in and then at the make command could do make HOSTCC="$
{CLFS_HOST}-gcc -std=gnu99" but there is more voodoo going on as it
kept trying to use the target gcc as figured by the configure. Wish
they would test things before releasing into the masses. This
shouldn't be a problem.