[Clfs-dev] HELP ME: issue about arm cross toolchain (cannot find gmp.so, mpfr.so...)

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Wed May 30 04:12:15 PDT 2012

On Sat, 26 May 2012 12:32:27 +0800
lee sudo <desoxydate at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find the compiler from android and
> http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/both
> build cross compile just use static library. So they dont depend on
> dynamic
> library and can be changed the path.
> This is the result after i compile kernel by compile from www.mentor.com(you
> can see the "static linked"), and i check the script in the source code of
> mentor's compile, i'm sure they only use static libraies.
> [Lee]~/source/3.0.30$ file vmlinux
> vmlinux: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), statically
> linked, BuildID[sha1]=0xe1b9d7b6e9edc66715eb1b4d47bf983fa9ff6745, not
> stripped

I'm 99% sure the kernel is always built statically linked. It's the
kernel, so it doesn't use shared or dynamic libs.  It has to boot the
machine before any external libs can be available.

For example, here's my kernel I've been building for the Beaglebone
using Emdebian cross compilers which can build non-static:

andrew at bradford:~$ file calc/linux/vmlinux
calc/linux/vmlinux: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, not stripped

-Andrew