[Clfs-dev] HELP ME: issue about arm cross toolchain (cannot find gmp.so, mpfr.so...)

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Thu May 24 04:36:15 PDT 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:03:12 +0800
lee sudo <desoxydate at gmail.com> wrote:

> It works well after put it all back where it was as you said.

Good.

> But I find some cross toolchains (e.g. cross toolchain in android source
> code) could work well after change its path(anywhere).

I'm not familiar with Android's C toolchain. Can you point me towards
where I can get one already compiled like you are using? I'm curious to
see what their GCC setup is.  That might shed some light.  I don't have
time to build yet another toolchain, thus the ask for a binary, I can
get the info I want out of a binary.

> This is the script i tested lasy night, it works well and finally succeed.
> And i cross compile kernel3.0.23 a moment ago, it also works well.

I believe you should be able to compile the Linux kernel even if GCC
can't find any of the libraries.  It's a kernel and all "library" calls
made in it exist as source within it.  You don't need things like libc
or mpfr to build Linux.  It's everything that runs on Linux that
probably will want the libs.

> If i change its path from "/home/sudolee/cross/cross_toolchain" to
> "/home/sudolee/cross_toolchain/", this issue occured.

For now, I'm going to chalk this one up to you should just keep your
toolchain where you built it.  Don't move it.

It's like if you go to the doctor complaining, "Every time I stab
myself in the face with this knife, it hurts."  The doctor will tell
you, "Stop stabbing yourself in the face with a knife!"

If you want, try building your toolchain with relative paths.  I've not
tried this, so no assurances it'll work, but that's the only easy way I
can think of to make a toolchain that doesn't mind being moved.  I'm
not sure if when building, the relative path to the libraries should be
in the context of the build dir or the resulting dir...

-Andrew