[Clfs-dev] ppl 0.12.1

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 12 02:26:31 PDT 2012

On 12/06/12 08:04, Grail Dane wrote:
> Ok ... so after some tooing and froing I managed to get past this obstacle :)
> Main solution was to make symlinks for the old connections to the newly installed version.
> I then moved forward and using Martin's patches posted for gcc 4.7.0 was able to install the new versionof gcc as well :)
> The downside I am facing now is that after compiling with the old version of gcc I always like to recompile with the new.This has lead to an error from ld referring to an 'undefined reference symbol.
> Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this until I am able to reinstall binutils, which I am guessing will fix the issue?
> cheersgrail

Hi

Not quite understanding what you are doing, but normally an undefined
reference symbol means that the compiler in the linking stage doesn't
know the appropriate "external" library to link to because it hasn't
been explicitly referenced in the compiler command. This seems to be  a
feature of newer binutils, where in older version you could get away
with it because it was referenced from another library

see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange

Martin