[Clfs-dev] Boot Method rather than chroot steps of the Cross-LFS book

Ron McDowell rcm at fuzzwad.org
Mon Aug 13 15:29:32 PDT 2012

On 8/13/12 3:53 PM, William Harrington wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> Been working on the boot method of the book, but mostly with powerpc
> for now.
>
> I've come across some issues we need to discuss.
>
> When we boot, it is a very minimal system. Really, only the extra
> program installed is VIM.
> We tell the user to build a minimal kernel to mount the rootfs and
> that is about it, and to not include audio and all that jazz. That is
> fine.
>
> Although, I think the user may need network access. For example, maybe
> they want to build the system by running an openssh daemon in the
> booted temp system. That is fine. Since we install minimal boot
> scripts, the kernel can use ip autolevel configuration via dhcp, rarp,
> or some other method or the user can pass the kernel paramaters of the
> boot line to configure the network, and not even use bootscripts,
> don't need to install iproute2 in the temp system before booting. I
> think that may be the best way and we would not need to install
> ethernet configuration programs for the boot method.
>
> Next up, we discourage the use of modules for the boot method, but if
> someone does and they decide to compress them for whatever reason,
> kmod will not load them as xz and zlib aren't enabled by default. We
> can enable those options for kmod during the boot method section and
> that will fix that. I know we want to keep the boot method minimal,
> and I want to know what the community has to say about the above
> issues I am raising.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington

This is very timely to me as I've just finished up my CLFS-embedded for
the Mini2440 and want to go on to building the full OS.  I'd see doing
it as a minimal kernel, and "oh, if you need to have compressed modules,
also do this after step 5.12, that after 6.8, and finally something else
after 8.3."

I planned on adding telnetd early-on to avoid having to cross-build
libssl too early in the game...security isn't much of an issue on my
in-house network.

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX